Sunday 15 November 2009

The hardest of hearts

I absolutely love Christmas. Completely and unconditionally. Every year I find myself getting extremely excited about big coats, long scarves & mittens, ice skates, Starbucks' red cups, pretty gift wrap, Phil Spector's Christmas hits, mulled wine and lame TV Christmas movies. This in itself isn't the problem. The problem is that I start getting excited about all of this around mid-October. And every year I find that around mid-December, the novelty has worn off and Christmas becomes this big, stressful anticlimax.

This year I am really trying not to give in to my cravings. It's pretty hard to avoid the whole hoo-ha when living in central London, as Oxford Street has been blinged up with tacky lights for several weeks now. And at work, Christmas has been on my daily agenda for ages.

I do love you Christmas, I really do, but I just can't bear to spoil it for myself this year. So I won't allow myself to give in to the cheer until 1st December, where I'll be decorating my Christmas tree with these, amongst others:



Yeah, I couldn't help myself.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...christmas! Never could get enough of the stuff. I'm happy that I'm not the only one loving Phil Spector's Christmas Hits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I love those! I used to make hearts like that in school but I can't remember how I did it now. Maybe I need to Google a little tutorial.

    When I hear Phil Spector's name now, all I can think of are his wild-eyed courtroom pictures. Murked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always used to make those hearts when I was at school too, so I googled the pattern and made a whole bunch out of my stash of fancy gift wrap.

    I'd forgotten how to do them too, but it was surprisingly easy (and you seem like an incredibly crafty gal so you'll work it out in no time, I'm sure).

    Oh, Phil. His mugshot looks like Gollum. :(

    Doesn't stop me from lovin' a bit of Darlene Love, though!

    ReplyDelete